On June 1, 1999, Mei was born to a couple whose names remain undisclosed in Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China. She was born the oldest of two children. Her father works as a professor while her mom is a stay at home mom.
During the middle of August in 2007, Mei's mother gave birth to a healthy baby boy, of which the couple named Leon. Also, Mei soon gained an interest in singing and dancing, so her family decided to give their daughter both singing and dancing lessons.
Mei auditioned for a spot in Hello! Project Taiwan Kenshuusei and passed. She would stay in the group for two years.
On June 15, 2012, Hello! Project producer Tsunku announced that two members of the the new girl group, of which will become Morning Musume's "sister group" will be added to the group. Mei and fellow first generation member Kimberly Park were added. Mei and her family then moved to Tokyo a couple days later.
- Name: Mei Liu
- Nicknames: Mei-chan, Meipon, Meimei
- Birthday: June 1, 1999
- Birthplace: Taipei, Taiwan
- Charmpoint: Her long braids
- Weakpoint: Inability to draw perspective art
- Favorite Foods: Gongwan, Hi-chews, chicken wings
- Least Favorite Foods: Jellybeans, Dried apricots, dragonfruit
- Favorite Things About Her Hometown: New Year Fireworks on top of Taipei 101 tower; the Lantern Festival
- Favorite Subject: Science
- Least Favorite Subject: Art
- Motto: "Jì zhù nǐ de chūshēn, nǐ kěnéng xiǎng gǎnxiè tāmen de rén, nǐ yǐjīng chéngwéi." (Simplified Chinese for: "Remember your origins; you might want to thank them for the person you've become.")
- Favorite English Word: Smile
- LOVE Musume Color: Light Blue
- Favorite Mandopop Group: SNH48
- Favorite SNH48 Song: "Heavy Rotation" (Chinese version)
- Favorite Flower: Azalea
- Favorite LOVE Musume Song: "MELODY クロスオーバー(feat. SECRET Otoko)"
- Hello! Project Groups:
- LOVE Musume (2013-Present)
- She is best friends with fellow LOVE Musume members, Ai Takano, and Kimberly Park.
- She and Kimberly Park are the first members added into the group; they are also foreigners of Japan.
- She and Kimberly Park take daily lessons to improve their Japanese.
- She has a younger brother named Leon.
- If she wasn't in LOVE Musume; she would want to audition for TPE48.